Dosages that are available for purchase:
There are many ways to treat depression. Medications and psychotherapy are effective for most people.Your doctor or psychiatrist can prescribe medications to relieve the symptoms of depression. However, many people with depression also find relief in psychotherapy.
With a severe form of depression, hospitalization or participation in outpatient programs may be necessary until symptoms of depression occur.
Various antidepressants are available to treat depression. Discuss possible side effects with your doctor.
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Include fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), citalopram (Celexa) and escitalopram (Lexapro).
- Selective serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). Include duloxetine (Cymbalta), venlafaxine (Effexor XR) and desvenlafaxine (Pristiq).
- Inhibitors of the reuptake of norepinephrine, dopamine (NDRIs). This category includes bupropion (Wellbutrin) - one of the few antidepressants that do not cause libido disorder.
- Atypical antidepressants. These drugs do not fall into any other category. They include trazodone and mirtazapine (Remeron). Both have a sedative effect and are recommended for reception in the evening.
- Tricyclic antidepressants. Tricyclic antidepressants, such as imipramine (Tofranil) and nortriptyline (Pamelor) - can cause more severe side effects than more advanced antidepressants.
Therefore, these drugs are prescribed only in the case of ineffective selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Inhibitors of tyramine (MAOIs).
Drugs such as tranylcypromine (Parnate) and phenelzine (Nardil) can be prescribed if other agents are ineffective because they have dangerous side effects. Their use requires a strict diet because of the danger of a deadly reaction to certain foods, as well as other medicines and plants.
If your ancestor has been helped by an antidepressant, it may suit you, or you may need to try several different drugs before you find the right one. This process requires patience, because some drugs may need to be taken for several weeks until the effect appears.
Do not stop taking an antidepressant without consulting your doctor. Although antidepressants are not addictive, you may develop a physical need for them. A sudden discontinuation of the drug may worsen the symptoms.
During pregnancy and breastfeeding, some antidepressants may be dangerous to the baby. Consult your doctor if you become pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
According to the data published in JAMA Psychiatry: Effexor XR reduces symptoms of depression and improves disability rates associated with spinal cord injuries in patients randomly assigned to this drug. The study included 133 patients aged 18 to 64 years who had a major depressive disorder (BDR) or dysthymic disorder 1 month after a spinal cord injury.
Each of them was randomly assigned venlafaxine (Effexor XR, Pfizer) or placebo to improve symptoms and mood after a spinal cord injury.
The researchers found that 47% of the patients had spinal cord injuries at the level of the cervical spine. According to the American Association of Spinal Trauma, 53.4% of them had severe spinal cord injuries (complete damage). Of these patients, 24.1% experienced two attacks of BDR, and 99.2% currently suffer from BDR.
Researchers also took into account the concomitant diseases of patients, including: chronic pain (93.9%), significant anxiety (57.1%) and history of dependence on psychoactive substances (44.4%).
After 12 weeks, the data showed a significant difference between the group taking Venlafaxine XR and the placebo group for improvement in Meyer subscale scores from baseline to week 12 (treatment effect: 1.6, 95% CI, 0.3-2.9), but not on the Hamilton depression scale HAM-D-17 (treatment effect: 1.0, 95% CI, -1.4 to 3.4).
Moreover, those patients who received venlafaxine XR demonstrated significantly lower rates of disability associated with spinal cord trauma in the Shihan anxiety scale compared to the placebo group (treatment effect: 4.7, 95% CI, 1.5-7.8). Researchers also reported that more detailed study of this topic requires additional research.